Emergency Preparedness Program
Cahuilla Band of Indians Emergency Preparedness Program (EPP) is to provide a planned response to emergency situations associated with natural disasters, technological incidents, acts of terrorism and national security emergencies in or affecting the Reservation. The EPP will establish an emergency management system that is required to respond to and mitigate against any emergency disaster. The EPP will identify policies, responsibilities, and procedures required to complete the actions above.
Simple Steps to be Prepare for an Emergency
- Emergency telephone numbers should be posted by every phone
- Designate someone to shut off the water, gas, and electricity at main switches
- Smoke detectors should be installed and tested monthly.
- As many household and/or Family members as possible should learn first aid & CPR.
- Consider how you can help neighbors and assess their needs. Ex. Special needs, elderly, or disabled.
General Procedures to Follow in an Emergency
- Remain calm, patient and follow the Emergency Plan
- For a life-threatening emergency – call 9-1-1
- Check homes for any damage or hazards
- Check for fires, gas leaks, spilled chemicals
- Shut off damaged utilities
- Check on neighbors, the elderly and sick
- Listen to battery operated radio for warnings and instructions